Mount Kelimutu has three crater lakes on top. The lake is known as the Lake Three Colors because it has three different colors, namely red, blue, and white. However, the colors are always changing with the passage of time. Kelimutu is a volcano keeps erupting. This mountain has an altitude of 1,639 meters or 5,377 feet above sea level in the village Pemo, District Flores, Ende, Flores island, East Nusa Tenggara (NTT), Indonesia.
Mount Kelimutu was first discovered by Van Such Telen which is a Dutch citizen in 1915. But the new Mount Kelimutu recognized by the public as one of the named Y. Bouman wrote his admiration for the Kelimutu which kept the charm of the lake three colors in a book in 1929.
Several studies have shown that it contains certain microorganisms that influence color changes in the crater lake. For example, from one of the crater lake blue, now turns green. It also reinforces the idea of increased volcanic activity and the amount of gas from the inside as well as changes in temperature.
Local people believe that the lake is the third contains a mystical aura. The first is a blue lake or commonly called the "Tiwu Nuwa Muri Koo Fai" local people believe that the lake is a gathering place for young people who have died. While the lake is colored red or "Tiwu Ata Polo" is believed to be a gathering place for the souls of the evil during his lifetime. And the lake is white or "Tiwu Mbupu Ata" is a gathering place for the soul good in his life.
Tips For Visiting Mount Kelimutu
For those who will visit the National Park Kelimutu, do not forget things - the following: :
- In view of the island of Flores frequent earthquakes, then find out about safe routes for trekking to Mount Kelimutu. Hiring a guide is also highly recommended, given the danger that you will encounter if through the wrong direction.
- Climb Mount Flores is a mandatory destination of the tourists who come. however
- Tthere are some parts that can not be visited on the part of this mountain because geothermal tends to be unstable. So do not try - try to play in a prohibited place was yes ....
- Not all the trails in the crater lake Kelimutu can be explored, because the crater wall is very thin and prone to landslides. So you should be extra careful - careful in treading the path around the crater.
- The best time to visit Mount Flores was in July through September. Because in a month-this month including the dry season, so the route is still in safe range. You will not be entangled in a muddy field and fear the avalanche danger.
- Pay a visit early in the morning, so you can watch the sunrise glistening on the crater lake, so it looks stunning.
- In addition, a visit in the early morning can also avoid from the thick fog at Kelimutu.
- Provide a dust mask to avoid disturbing.
- Management of National Parks Flores is very less, so do not be surprised if you get less service.
- Try to provide personal equipment and supplies are sufficient, because when I got there, you will not find sellers who can meet those needs.
- Provide may warm jacket for you.
- Adhere to the existing regulations, given in this place is very prone to earthquakes and landslides